Wednesday, April 23, 2014

To listen or not to listen?

Recently, during a promotional visit to a bookstore in Melbourne, I received a wonderful surprise. A lady
with whom I had connected only via email in the past made a special effort to drop by and meet me in person. This lady works for an organisation that helps those with visual impairment or ‘print disability'--her role includes acquiring books for possible recording for the audio lending library this organisation runs. A few years ago, an elderly friend badly wanted to read my first two novels but the print was too small for her. She told this organisation about my books and asked if they could record them. After some time, they contacted me and the upshot was that, over the next little while, my first three novels were produced as audio books. I was sent a copy of each in their special DAISY mp3 format—and I thought that was the end of it all.

However, when this lady met me recently, she told me they had now completed my fourth and fifth novels and were about to start on my memoir Soul Friend. As well, she also wanted to purchase my latest novel The Inheritance, with a view to recording it. A few days later, she emailed to say she was forwarding the recordings of my fourth and fifth novels so I would have all my books they had produced so far.

But here is my dilemma. While I love having these copies, I have not as yet been able to bring myself to listen to any of them! I know they are  professionally produced—the person who narrated them is a well known and very gifted actor from stage and screen here in Australia and has a beautiful speaking voice. But I am certain that, because these were my first novels, I would want to change so much of what I would hear, which would definitely dampen my enjoyment of the whole experience. I imagine it is a little like artists might feel when viewing their early efforts at painting. Surely their fingers must itch to alter or touch up this or that!

Perhaps the best way to approach it all is for me to listen to those recordings with an accepting heart and mind, acknowledge the stylistic changes I would now make, and simply be thankful for how far I have come since those earlier writing efforts. We all learn as we go and we all have to begin somewhere. And, stylistic issues aside, the stories they contain still touch readers, I have discovered, who are often not as critical as those of us who write! Then again ... is it better not to listen and instead to keep moving forward, writing the best I can at this point?

What would you decide in this instance? Would you listen or not?

All questions aside, I am honoured and grateful that those recordings have been made—especially my third novel Laura, which is the story of a girl who becomes blind as a child. I love the idea that those for whom most books are inaccessible can choose to hear my books, if they so desire. God has ways of blessing us far beyond what we could ever imagine, don’t you agree?


Jo-Anne Berthelsen lives in Sydney but grew up in Brisbane. She holds degrees in Arts and Theology and has worked as a high school teacher, editor and secretary, as well as in local church ministry. Jo-Anne is passionate about touching hearts and lives through both the written and spoken word. She is the author of six published novels and one non-fiction work, Soul Friend: the story of a shared spiritual journey. Jo-Anne is married to a retired minister and has three grown-up children and three grandchildren. For more information, please visit www.jo-anneberthelsen.com or www.soulfriend.com.au.

6 comments:

  1. I love audio books, Jo-Anne, especially when they are well done by accomplished actors. But I understand your reluctance to listen to your own work. The only one of my books I have read post-publication is Glastonbury Tor and that because I wanted to be sure I wasn't writing any inconsistencies into the sequel. Like you, I KNOW I would be itching to make changes.

    That said, I would love to hear my books interpreted orally. What if you started with the most recent? That would represent your best writing. Then you could see how you felt about going back further. I'm grateful with you that your stories can touch even sight-impaired readers, especially Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that very sensible suggestion, LeAnne, to begin with the latest recording of my books. I think that's the way to go, if I ever get the time--and the courage--to start! And I'm reassured that I've found another author who doesn't like even to read her own books post-publication! That's something else I've never done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanne, I would agree with LeAnne's comment. Another suggestion: If you put it onto an mp3 player with headphones and listen as you work around the house or go for a walk? That way you wouldn't be concentrating to the same degree, just waiting to pick up things you would like to change. Hopefully you would be able to enjoy it and realise that it's really good--as I'm sure it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for another great, practical suggestion, Shirley. I can see that would overcome the anxiety involved in just sitting there, listening and waiting for the next clumsy sentence!

      Delete
  4. oh, Jo-Anne, I love audiobooks and was so excited when my publisher produced MP3s of The Shadow of Reality and A Midsummer Eve's Nightmare. yes, professionaly produced--he even let me help select the reader. But, oh, listening was painful--and I've heard the same thing from other writers. The thing is--you hear your books, especially the characters--in your head. Another interpreter will never match that. Sure, do have a listen, but just be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate your honest feedback, Donna--thanks so much. Now, if or when I take the plunge and listen, I will be prepared! I think you have put your finger on the problem though--I know what the characters need to sound like and don't want that spoilt!

      Delete