Friday, November 9, 2018

Rainbow equals an everlasting covenant

Keona Tann | @ICFWriters


I’ve always felt there is something special about rainbows. I’m excited every time I see one in the sky. As a child I loved running through the sprinkler, especially if I caught a glimpse of a rainbow! I’d imagine myself getting caught up in the colours and becoming a beautiful mix of colour. I’d try and get my wet skin to shimmer and shine like the rainbow which I found I could sometimes achieve if I added some detergent.

For quite a few months I’ve been researching and contemplating the true meaning of a rainbow, I desperately want to know the hidden mystery that God has placed within the rainbow.

The Biblical origin of the rainbow is found in Genesis‬ ‭9:11-16 (‭NLT): “Yes, I am confirming my covenant with you. Never again will floodwaters kill all living creatures; never again will a flood destroy the earth.” Then God said, “I am giving you a sign of my covenant with you and with all living creatures, for all generations to come. I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is the sign of my covenant with you and with all the earth. When I send clouds over the earth, the rainbow will appear in the clouds, and I will remember my covenant with you and with all living creatures. Never again will the floodwaters destroy all life. When I see the rainbow in the clouds, I will remember the eternal covenant between God and every living creature on earth.”‬‬‬‬‬‬


As I read I was reminded that the sign of the rainbow is a reminder for us and for God. The rainbow equals an everlasting covenant between God and humanity. It is a visible reminder that God is faithful to keep the promises that He has made.

As I researched more I came across a verse which gives us a wonderful glimpse into heaven: “The one sitting on the throne was as brilliant as gemstones — like jasper and carnelian. And the glow of an emerald circled his throne like a rainbow.” ‭‭Revelation‬ ‭4:3‬ ‭(NLT)‬‬‬‬‬‬

As I reflected upon that verse rainbows took on another dimension, they are a glimpse into the heavenly realm. I am fascinated by the colours of the rainbow and desired to know the meanings behind each one. It has been hard to research but this is what I’ve found so far:‬‬‬‬
Red: represents the blood of Jesus; power and love; and the Spirit of Revelation
Orange: fire of God; and the Spirit of wisdom
Yellow: God’s glory; and the Spirit of understanding
Green: new life; and the Spirit of Counsel
Blue: Holy Spirit; holiness; the heavenlies; and the Spirit of might
Indigo: covered by God; and the Spirit of knowledge
Purple: royalty; and the Spirit of the fear of the Lord (that is awe and adoration over His wonder and majesty)

As I faced more challenges, and feelings overwhelmed me, I sat down and poured my heart out to God:
Lord as I sit here struggling to take the next breath
As I sit here and wrestle with these feelings
A rainbow breaks in the sky, right in front of my eyes!
A rainbow, the oldest visible reminder around that Your promises are steadfast and true
A rainbow reminding me of Your unending grace; mercy; love; and redemption
A rainbow, the oldest covenant made
the rainbow equals an everlasting covenant
Lord, all of creation is sealed with Your covenant
The rainbow appears to remind all that Your glorious reign is set in place
A rainbow reminds me of Your throne in the heavenly realms
God, You do not lie for it's impossible for You to do so!
Therefore the promised breakthrough will come
Just as the rainbow shines to declare Your promise, I will shine bright and new
Your saving grace will be outworked in my life
You will not abandon me to this cloud of despair
You will not leave me wandering in this wasteland
You will not allow the storm to blow me off course
I declare afresh that I’m in Your hands
I declare afresh God is with me!

I pray that today you’re encouraged to hold fast to the promises God has given you and inspired to declare that His promises are steadfast and true.

“So do not throw away this confident trust in the Lord. Remember the great reward it brings you! Patient endurance is what you need now, so that you will continue to do God’s will. Then you will receive all that he has promised.” ‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭10:35-36‬ (‭NLT)‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬‬
Many blessings, Keona

About Keona:

I’ve lived most of my life in Tasmania, which is one of the beautiful Australian states. Deliriously happily married to my college sweetheart for over 20 years, we consider ourselves extremely blessed to be raising 2 wonderful teenagers. Hubby and I have also been long time child sponsors with Compassion so we have overseas kids!

I struggled with illness and disease for most of my life. The biggest battles were: endometriosis for 28 years and adrenal/chronic fatigue which was severe for 28 months. In September 2016 healing was declared over my life, praise God, this set me on a path of deep inner healing, restoration and transformation. My passion to write was reignited and I wrote out a mission statement:

“He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see what he has done and be amazed. They will put their trust in the LORD.” Psalm 40:3 (NLT)

I desire to impact the world through the words I share. I long to enrich, empower and encourage others whilst delivering my stories with empathy and understanding.

In my new-found boldness I’ve started a weekly blog which you can find at: https://keonajtann.wordpress.com/

Many Blessings, Keona

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this, Keona. I love the insight into the glorious sights of heaven, and I'd never thought to look into the significance of the rainbow's colours. God bless you, and touch many through your words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keona, I loved your list of colors and their meanings. This thoughtful devotion was a fantastic start to my day. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete