Friday, January 26, 2018

DEVOTION: Unchanging God


By Leila Halawe | @Lhalawe

And just like that, the new year has well and truly come and gone. The celebrations have settled down, the streamers have been pulled down, along with the Christmas decorations (mine, anyway) and everyone has gotten back into the daily grind. For many, the changing of the calendar is a time to reset. A second chance. A new beginning. A time to hope and dream and visualise all that could be. To say goodbye to what was and usher in a new season. While we are almost at the end of January, I am still reading many new year posts online claiming that this year would be different, it would be better. There would be more joy and happiness and success. Amen.

Like many people, I had a hard year in 2017. On just about front, things were difficult or hard or just downright exhausting. There was so many ups and downs but through it all, there was one constant: God. As I look back, I realise that while it was a difficult year for me, it was also a year where I repeatedly saw the goodness and kindness of God. It was a year that I felt the steadfast love of God in my life. Despite what I felt or did or said, He was steadfast. He was constant. His love was unconditional and endless. I wish I could say the same about myself.

But God.

But God was faithful and steadfast and true.

He was present.

He is still present.

New beginnings are wonderful, and ushering in new things is also wonderful, but so is steadfastness. So is faithful. So is familiar. These are all also good and wonderful things that we should be careful to not toss away in the search for new and exciting and comfortable. Don’t get me wrong, like many others I was more than glad to see the back of 2017, but I was also comforted in knowing that the midnight stroke on NYE wouldn’t change God. It wouldn’t change who He is. It wouldn’t change His love for me or His plans and purposes for me. The change in the date wouldn’t change the fact that God is still God, He is still on the Throne and Jesus is still seated at His right hand. It wouldn’t change the fact that I am loved with an everlasting love by a Heavenly Father that calls me by name. 

The ticking of the clock doesn’t change that for you, either.

You are still loved.

You are still a child of God.

You are still adored by Your Heavenly Father, the creator of the heavens and earth.

As we look ahead to new beginnings and as we make fresh starts, let’s also hold onto the faithfulness of God. Let’s hold onto the knowledge that He was and is and is to come. Let’s hold onto the truth that He is unchanging and His love is everlasting.

Blessings for a great year.


About Lays 


Leila (Lays) Halawe is a Sydney based coffee loving nonfiction writer and blogger. She has published a short devotional, Love By Devotion, and shares her views on life and faith via her blog page Looking In . You can connect with her via Facebook at Leila Halawe Author  and via Twitter at Leila Halawe

No comments:

Post a Comment