Monday, September 25, 2017

When Life Throws a Curve Ball by Janice L. Dick

This blog was supposed to appear very early in the morning of this very day. Unfortunately, I missed the memo.

Six months ago, my husband and I invited my mom to come live with us. She’s 94 and was living in a seniors’ assisted living facility. We realized not long after she moved there that it wasn’t ideal for her. Mom has always been independent, and she didn’t enjoy the institutional feel of the place.

Most of her friends had passed away and she needed a place to belong and be cared for, so we decided to give her a home and a family.

In making this commitment, I asked myself how this decision might affect my writing. I couldn’t answer the question because I had no idea. When God asks you to do something, you do it and trust that He will provide the required resources. So far, I’ve been able to continue with my writing on a fairly normal basis. Until last week.

One week ago Thursday, Mom had a heart attack, and everything changed. I can’t leave her alone right now. I can’t travel to conferences or even writer’s group unless someone familiar is here with her. With all the hubbub, I also neglected to check my Facebook page, and thus missed the memo about postings for the rest of this year. (My apologies.)

Life is all about the unexpected. We make plans, but life happens. We make commitments and do our best, but sometimes, life throws a curve ball and we are unable to fulfill our obligations.

The comforting thought in all this is that, as Christians, we are in God’s care, no matter what unexpected events occur. Just like character motivation in fiction, everything in our lives happens for a reason. Nothing is a surprise to the Lord, the One who creates the stories of our lives. So we rest in His care and His plan as it unfolds.

I don’t know what the future holds for Mom, or for us. I will continue to write as time allows, but of first importance is discerning God’s plan for each day. His way is always best. And, to top is off, He gives us His peace.

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid” John 14:27.


2 comments:

  1. Janice, thank you for writing such a personal post. And please never worry if you miss a post - we'll survive a day without reading a post.

    May this challenging season be a blessed one with your mum. May you be able to connect in away you've never previously and be assured the Lord is in the midst of it.

    And your writing can wait.

    Grace and peace,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Janice. I have also had a ton of "life happens" periods especially over last year. I just have to remind myself that it may have taken me by surprise, but the Lord knew it was coming and already has plans for me to survive!

    ReplyDelete