Monday, December 28, 2015

Best of the ICFW Archives: Waiting with four eyes!

By Jo-Anne Berthelsen



In my opinion, the English language contains a wonderful array of interesting vocabulary, fascinating phrases and quaint sayings – a veritable Aladdin’s cave for authors! But having worked as a German and Japanese teacher many years ago and having tried to learn a couple of different languages since then, I have discovered some unique and colourful ways of putting things in other languages too. 

Recently I was reminded via an email from a friend who lives in Turkey about a wonderful Turkish phrase often used in everyday language there. My friend told me she was seeing a colleague in another town soon who loves reading my novels. She told me that when she promised this friend she would lend her my latest novel ‘Heléna’s Legacy’, the friend immediately responded: ‘Dört gözle bekliyorum’ – which literally means ‘I’m waiting with four eyes’!

Read more at the following link:

http://internationalchristianfictionwriters.blogspot.com/2011/08/waiting-with-four-eyes.html

1 comment:

  1. Hah! Love that phrase, Jo. Maybe because she had to use her reading glasses?

    ReplyDelete