Friday, August 28, 2015

DEVOTION: Don't Run! ~ by Shirley Corder

Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. (James 4:7)


Some years ago, I made the mistake of stopping on my way from a restaurant to the car to take a photograph of a nearby ostrich. Now, the ostrich is a curious fellow and this one decided he wanted a closer look at my camera.

The next several minutes were spent with my husband trying to maneuver the car between me and the inquisitive creature, while I trotted furiously around the car park, trying to reach the open car door. My husband, and the friends who were with us, found the entire incident hysterically funny.

I was just relieved to regain the sanctity of the car with my camera and body, if not dignity, still intact. As we drove from the parking, the ostrich trotted along behind us, seeing his guests off the premises.

This huge bird weighs up to 145 kilograms (320 lb) which is as much as two adult humans and can run at speeds of up to 70 km (43 miles) per hour. Needless to say, my friend in the parking lot wasn’t all that anxious to catch me, as trust me. I can’t reach speeds like that!

The Bible tells us to resist the devil. It doesn't suggest we try to outrun him. It tells us to submit ourselves to God's protection. Then to stand firm. Don't do what I did and try to outrun the ostrich. The devil can run faster than you can, but he has no hope against God's protection. If there is an area that is a major stumbling block in your life, call on God for help. Then stand firm and allow Him to win the battle.

SHIRLEY CORDER lives on the coast in South Africa with her husband, Rob. Her book, Strength Renewed: Meditations for your Journey through Breast Cancer contains 90 meditations based on her time in the cancer valley.

Sign up here to receiva short devotional message from Shirley in your inbox once a week.

Please visit Shirley through ShirleyCorder.com, where she encourages writers, or at  RiseAndSoar.com, where she encourages those in the cancer valley. You can also meet with her on Twitter or FaceBook 

No comments:

Post a Comment