Thursday, August 27, 2015

Best of the ICFW Archives: Humility in Writing

By Jenn Kelly




When I first wrote 'Jackson Jones', it took me a year and a half of sitting in coffee shops and drinking lattes. It was very laid back and I enjoyed my time. I realized I was rather funny. I figured I shouldn't have a problem getting published. 

A year later and 72 rejections (both from publishers and agents) I began to think that perhaps I wasn't so funny at all. That all the writing I had been doing throughout my life was just junk. I gave it to God. "God, if it be Your will, not mine, I'd love to be published." I finally found one that said yes. Which happened to be through someone I met at a conference who liked my spunk. 

Then illustrations were to be added. Oh what fun! I would have an illustrator. I was sent preview copies. And I loved some and I liked some. But it didn't matter what I thought, because I no longer had a say. Just like I no longer had a say in the cover, the title (was originally titled 'Jackson and his Great Aunt Harriett') or that my name was the same size as the illustrator.

Read more at the following link:

http://internationalchristianfictionwriters.blogspot.com/2011/06/humility-in-writing.html

No comments:

Post a Comment