Friday, January 2, 2015

DEVOTION: Happy New Year! ~ by Shirley Corder



At the beginning of February, 2014, I saw a post on Facebook that said, HELP! Has anyone seen the first month of the year? I seem to have lost it! At the time, I was busy writing a series of devotions based on some of the kings of ancient Israel.

It was refreshing to read of the godly King Hezekiah who did so much to turn the nation of Judah back to God. However, the king became critically ill and was told by the prophet Isaiah that he was about to die. His reaction was to turn his face to the wall and pray to the Lord. God heard his prayer and granted him an additional 15 years of life. You can read this exciting story in 2 Kings 20.

Over 17 years ago, I received a diagnosis of cancer. My surgeon didn't expect me to live as long as a year. God has given me an additional 16 years to date, and I'm still doing well. Praise the Lord.

During those bonus years I have become a published author with many articles and stories in print and online, as well as my book of 90 devotions for those in the cancer valley, Strength Renewed, Meditations for Your Journey through Breast Cancer. It has been a fruitful time, although I know I could have done more if I'd been better organised.

Unfortunately, Hezekiah did very little with his fifteen years. The one big thing he did do was very stupid. But you can read that for yourself.

Yesterday, we were all given 365 new days with the arrival of the year, 2015. Of course, we do not know if we will all get to spend all those days on earth, but is it the number of days that count? Or is it what we do with them that matter? At the time of posting this message, we've already used up one of them. Maybe by the time you're reading this, you've already used several of them. Have you used yours wisely? Do you wish you could have them back?

I know that a month from now I may well be asking that same question. Where has January gone? I will feel as if I've lost many of those days. I may wish I could start over. But of course, that's impossible.

Guess the question now is, What will we do with the next 364 days?

Oh, and a Happy and Blessed New Year to you all!

OVER TO YOU: What is the one thing you wish to achieve during this year? Share it with us!

 SHIRLEY CORDER lives on the coast in South Africa with her husband, Rob. Her book, Strength Renewed: Meditations for your Journey through Breast Cancer contains 90 meditations based on her time in the cancer valley.

Sign up here to receive a short devotional message from Shirley in your inbox once a week.

Please visit Shirley through ShirleyCorder.com, where she encourages writers, or at  RiseAndSoar.com, where she encourages those in the cancer valley. You can also meet with her on Twitter or FaceBook 

6 comments:

  1. You have certainly put your additional years to good use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen, although I know there is so much more I could have/ should have done! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Shirley. Trust you have a great 2015. What would I like to see/achieve for this year? Depends on the facet under discussion. Re writing I'd like my 'Warrior Lord's Sword' devotional to find a printer. Re personal, to get to know the Lord and His word more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ray! All the best for the 12 months ahead. Yes, you're right of course. It does depend on the facet under review. As far as my writing is concerned I want to see my current project finished and like you, find it a publisher.

      Delete
  3. Thank you, Shirley.

    The new year always challenges me to decide to accomplish something, but each year, I find myself sidetracked into something else.

    I've given up on making resolutions. I simply want to walk where God sends me and say what He tells me.

    I'm so grateful that He put you in my life and blessed by your book, Strength Renewed. May He bless your work this year as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Judith. I no longer make long lists of soon-to-be-broken resolutions, but at the same time I HAVE to come up with some desire for the New Year. This year it's to get Out of the Shadows finished and attempt to find it a publisher.

      Delete