Thursday, January 1, 2015

The Best of the ICFW Archives: Setting the Scene














It's Lisa Harris here, looking forward to chatting with you about settings and scenes. I've spent the past couple weeks researching 1920's New York City for my next release with Summerside Press and have found it fascinating. Between gangsters, food, fashion and music, miles of busy intersections and looming skyscrapers, New York City became the perfect contrast I needed to the wide open savannahs of Africa where the first half of my novel is set.

Setting needs to be more than simply the place where your heroine lives, but how do you do this? First, it means searching for those small facts that will take a cardboard setting and turn it into a living, breathing character as you seamlessly weave those details into your story.

I recently spend over an hour searching for a specific detail I wanted to use in my story. In the end, I found exactly what I was looking for and used it in a brief sentence that no one will probably notice. But if I left out all the details like this, the reader would certainly notice the empty stage.

Read more at the following link:

http://internationalchristianfictionwriters.blogspot.com.au/2010/06/setting-scene.html

No comments:

Post a Comment