Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Persistent Pecking


Tap. Tap Tap. The sharp sound came from the kitchen. I was alone in the house. Was someone breaking in? Was it a thief?

I tip-toed down the passage and peeped into the kitchen.  Another burst of staccato taps. Then I saw him—a crested barbet, in fine-feathered fettle, most probably a young male. He hopped along the windowsill, stopping at intervals to hammer at the glass with his strong beak. I walked towards him. He flew away in a flurry of black, white and yellow feathers splashed with crimson.

Crested Barbet
During the next few weeks he pecked repeatedly at the windows in my kitchen, TV room and bedroom. Perhaps the windows were acting as mirrors and my feathered visitor was seeing images of my garden. Or perhaps he was seeing himself and interacting with what he perceived to be another bird.

On further investigation I found that though the windows often acted as mirrors from a distance, up close I could see clearly into the house. So when the barbet tapped on the window he could see the rooms inside. His goal was to get into the house, and he worked persistently to achieve it.

What a waste of time. If the little fellow succeeded, he would regret it. He would panic, especially if a human walked into the room. He would try to escape. He would probably fly into the furniture, ceilings and walls, hurting himself in the process. He could easily become trapped and die of shock or starvation.

This morning I hear him tapping at my bedroom window again. He may think he wants to get inside, but that is not the best plan for him. Better by far that he stay outside in the garden where he can eat fruit, enjoy the sun and fill the air with his trilling call which sounds like the dialling tone of an old-fashioned  phone.

This cheery little bird not only brightens my day, but he's a reminder to me not to waste time pursuing dreams and goals which seem desirable to me. If they are not in line with God's Will, they are futile, and can end up wasting time at the best, and in total disaster at the worst. The Bible tells me:
"There is a way that seems right to a man,
but in the end it leads to death" (Proverbs 14:12 NIV)

God's plans for me are always best and never a waste of time. May I learn to pray before I set goals and ask Him to show me what He wants me to do. His Word states:
 "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge Him,
and He will make your paths straight."
(Proverbs 3:4&5 NIV)

1 comment:

  1. Super post, Ruth! I love the way you have used this cute little fellow to remind us to not waste time pecking away at pointless tasks when there are other better things we should be concentrating on. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete