Friday, July 20, 2018

Devotion: When Life Doesn't Follow the Script by @DianneJWilson




Belonging to God and being part of His family feels like it should come with a guarantee of no more troubles. At least that’s how I felt until my mom was diagnosed with cancer many years ago. All the way through her illness, I was completely convinced that God was going to heal her. I couldn’t imagine it working out any other way.


But things didn’t work out as I’d scripted them in my head and she passed away. You could say that death was the ultimate healing as I know she’d made peace with God and is waiting for me in Heaven with her fabulously healthy spiritual body. I have a sneaky feeling that Jesus lets her peep when my girls do something that I know would have made her the proudest granny.
The truth is, even as God’s kids, we are not exempt from suffering. We do, however, get to face every hard thing holding onto His strong hand.
It was awful to lose my mom, but I’ve realized that every struggle that I overcome will become a life-raft for someone. I never knew what to say to someone who’d lost a family member. I would avoid them rather than face the awkwardness of that conversation. But now that I’ve been on the other side of that conversation, it no longer scares me.
You see, some of the things that you will go through are not intended for you at all. They are to give you the heart and the words that somebody else needs.

2 Corinthians 1:3-4 ‘...the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 
who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.’

Dianne J. Wilson writes novels from her hometown in East London, South Africa, where she lives with her husband and three daughters. She is writing the third book in YA series, Spirit Walker, with Pelican / Watershed. Book 1, Affinity released on the 8th of June. Resonance (book 2) will be released in October 2018.

Finding Mia is available from AmazonPelican / Harbourlight, Barnes & Noble and other bookstores.

Shackles is available as a free ebook from Amazon & Smashwords.

Find her on FacebookTwitter and her sporadic blog Doodles.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Dianne, for sharing what you've learned through your own loss and for the reminder that God can use what we go through to help others. Yes, knowing we're held in God's care makes a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Janet! I'm not sure how people who don't know they are loved by God make it through the hardships of life, I honestly don't. He is so kind and faithful. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment, I appreciate it so much!

      Delete