Friday, February 16, 2018

Walking In Faith


Lorraine Hossington | @lorrainehossing



Faith is stepping out when you are not sure what is going to happen. Making the decision to trust in God no matter where it may lead or what consequences may occur. But knowing that he will show us the way. In Hebrews 11:8 (NIV) it tells us that Abraham obeyed God in faith and went, even though he didn’t know where he was going.

It sounds so simple until it comes to ourselves. Last year I moved from the city to the countryside. For a few years I had felt God speaking to me about moving and had a sense that it wasn’t the right time. Then last year I moved knowing it was the right time and everything fell into place. I had a lot of decluttering to do which stopped me putting my property up for sale straight away. Ten years of hoarding seemed to take ages to sort out, but finally I managed to get rid of it all. And I will be honest and say it was not an easy thing to do as there were lots of memories that had to be dealt with, some were good, others quite painful. But through this process God had a plan for me. I realised that as I was decluttering the physical, God was helping me to declutter the spiritual. I felt a cleansing and a renewal in my life that was just the start of what he had planned for me.

There have been times when I’ve felt a bit like Peter walking on water. (Mat 14:25-31 NIV) He was bold enough to get out of the boat and walk toward Jesus, then he became frightened and began to sink. That has been me, looking at The Lord, then for whatever reason I lose focus and start sinking. But when we seek him he is always there to hold us up.

Perseverance


Faith can sometimes be a difficult road to walk. We start out okay, everything is fine. Then out of nowhere comes the trials which can be frustrating and at times painful. When I’ve been going through these times I’ve cried out and said, where are you God? Yet at the end of a difficult time I have looked back and realised that he has been with me all the time. But by going through these times it gives us the strength and perseverance to go carry on our journey.

Trials


We have testing times that we have to go through. A few years ago I went through a dark time in my life. I suffered with depression and wanted to end my life. It was so hard, yet God stepped in. I was in the bath and thought this is the end. Then God spoke to me, not through scripture but with a worship song. It was by Gloria and Bill Gaither called God sent His Son. The chorus of this song tells about facing tomorrow because Jesus lives. I had only heard this song once, but God used it to speak to me. I went to my Gp who recommended counselling. I’m a different person from who I used to be. There is no more depression in my life and I feel so filled with joy and free. In John 10:10 (AMP) it tells us that Jesus came so that we may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance. Going through this trial has helped me to help other people. What the enemy used to try and destroy me God has taken and used for his Glory. These trials have helped me to walk in faith because I know through personal experience that God has never left me alone but has always been with me.

Are you going through a hard time? I want to encourage you to hold on, God is with you. Joshua 1:9 (AMP) be courageous and do not fear. He is with you.

Lorraine Hossington lives in the Gower Peninsular in Wales. She writes contemporary Christian Fiction. And loves nature and being able to see the wild ponies and sheep on the hills in the area she lives in. As she used to live in the city, but loves where God has put her in the country.
Twitter @lorrainehossing Facebook Lorraine Hossington

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lorraine, Welcome to ICFW :) Thanks for sharing your inspiring and encouraging story of your faith journey with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Narelle, thank you for the welcome. It's a journey that I have come through and I know that God has been with me all the way. I'm glad you have found it encouraging and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete