Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Writing With the Help of the Greatest Creator of All

By Cindy Williams


Every summer I return to New Zealand, to the place where I grew up, to a place where it is easy to marvel at the wonder of the Lord’s creation. With just a few words He created the heavens and the earth ‘in all their vast array.’ (Gen 2:1) I imagine the delight the Lord had as He created the colour of the sea, the green of the grass, the petals of each flower, the uniqueness of each person’s fingerprint. As writers we also get a taste of that thrill of creativity, of creating something from nothing. It makes sense –we are created in the Lord’s likeness, including His desire and love of creating.

When my writing flows as effortlessly as trudging through mud I remind myself that I have a friend - a Father - who is the ultimate Creator. Surely, if we ask, He is pleased to help us in our creative endeavours.

‘Which of you if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!’ (Matt 7:9-10)

Over the years I have been amazed at God’s faithfulness in helping me to write. When I stop myself from rushing straight to the computer and instead first spend time in prayer, the words and ideas flow. I am by nature a slow writer but on those days when I have a deadline to meet (usually 1000 words to read out to my writing group) and I ask the Lord to help me, He always does. I cannot quite believe I have written so much, so quickly. It is truly supernatural – the ‘natural’ process of writing ‘super’ charged by the hand of God!


‘Come to me all you who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest.’ (Matt 11:28) 
The Lord loves to take our burdens and give us rest.

In December I walked the Routeburn Track in the south of the South Island with my family. Maori used this track to access the precious pounamu (greenstone) which they traded with the northern tribes. We walked the 32 km track over three days, climbing to 1300 metres through pouring rain (day 1), minus 9 degree wind chill with snow blowing horizontally at us (day 2) and, on the final day, sun.

We did it the ‘easy’ way which meant that at the end of each day we stayed in lodges with hot showers, heated rooms, real coffee and a three course dinner. We still had to walk the track and carry a pack but with the promise of comfort at the end of each day. It reminded me of our walk, as authors, with God. We do have to sit down and do the work of writing but, with His help, we can do it the ‘easy’ way rather than all in our own strength.


The best thing about being weary or worried about our writing is that it makes us rely more on God and less on ourselves. If this is you, test the Lord out. Before you sit at your computer, fall to your knees and pray. This time of resting with the Lord is sure to reap rewards.

Have you had an experience of the Lord blessing you with a sliver of his creativity? Please share – it’s like a little faith booster for the rest of us!

Blessings, Cindy x

PS I know I am biased but I think New Zealand got an extra portion of God’s creativity!


About Cindy Williams

As a child growing up in a culturally rich part of New Zealand Cindy enjoyed writing, not copious screeds, but short intense pieces that brought tears to her eyes and made people think.

Then she became a dietitian – all science and seriously researched facts. She has a Master of Public Health and a Graduate Diploma in Communication and spent many years as a corporate nutrition consultant encouraging and inspiring people to live a healthy life.

She writes a nutrition blog – www.nutritionchic.com - and was short listed for the 2016 Caleb Prize for her debut novel The Pounamu Prophecy.

Cindy lives in Sydney with her husband and teenage son.

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Cindy. Thank you.

    It is special to know our muse is the Creator of the universe who is madly in love with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Cindy. You speak for all of us, even though I have never visited New Zealand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post, Cindy. I've never been to New Zealand, and I don't expect to ever go there . . . but from what I've seen, its beauty is clearly amidst the most beautiful in the world. (Second of course to South Africa. :-) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shirley. It's always good to appreciate the beauty of the place we live xx

      Delete
  4. Beautiful post, Cindy. Thanks for sharing your inspiring and encouraging words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post, Cindy. Appreciate the words and the stunning photos. I definitely need to visit one day!

    ReplyDelete