Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Learning to Surrender


If I learned anything last year, I learned that I’m not as in control as I think I am. Not in my personal life, not in my ministry, and not in my writing career. And while I’ve never thought of myself as someone who needs to be in charge of everything, I have discovered that I have the need to fix things. And yes, to be in control.

Like many of us, with the New Year upon us, I’ve spent a lot of time reflecting about what is ahead, and praying for God to direct me and use me. Normally, I pray, wanting words to hear words like renewal and refreshing, but this year the word I kept hearing was surrender.

Surrender.

It’s not easy to surrender it all--my fears and worries, my marriage, my children, my ministry, my writing. . .everything.

I don’t know about you, but surrender doesn’t seem to be something that we as humans do automatically. Or maybe it’s just me. Every time I turn around, I catch myself trying to handle things on my own. Trying to fix things on my own. Over and over.

To help me understand what surrendering really means, I started reading through scripture that talked about trusting in Him only and where my focus needs to be.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6

But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Matt 6:33

My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Corinthians 12:9

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:1-2

I’m continuing to learn that He hears my prayers and my cries and wants me to trust everything to Him.

To surrender to His will, His direction, and His promises.


And I’m learning that is enough.
________________________________________________________________________

LISA HARRIS is a Christy Award finalist for Blood Ransom and Vendetta, Christy Award winner for Dangerous Passage, and the winner of the Best Inspirational Suspense Novel for 2011 (Blood Covenant) and 2015 (Vendetta) from Romantic Times. She has over thirty novels and novella collections in print. She and her family have spent over thirteen years working as missionaries in Africa. When she's not working she loves hanging out with her family, cooking different ethnic dishes, photography, and heading into the African bush on safari. For more information about her books and life in Africa visit her website at www.lisaharriswrites.com

4 comments:

  1. Such a great word, Lisa. Surrender. It's hard to do it, it's in our fleshly natures to want to control, to fix things. That Proverbs verse has been one I've meditated upon a lot in recent months. Because we do lean on what our mind thinks. But Jesus wants us to lean on Him.

    My word for the year is Linger … spending more time in His Presence. I picture Mary of Bethany as she lingered at Jesus' feet, simply being present and listening to Him. I want to do more of that.

    I'll be praying for you .. that the Lord will lead you beside still waters and sit you down in lush green pastures so that you can let go of all your stuff.

    Grace and peace, my friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and prayers, Ian. Love the meaning behind the word Linger. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. Ooh! This reminds me of that Story of With / Allen Arnold quote: "Let go and live completely unbalanced for the things that matter most." ;) But it's so hard! Great post, Lisa. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great quote, Patricia! Love that! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete