Friday, January 20, 2017

Devotion: The Hardest Thing for a Parent


I'm writing this devotion 10,5 hours away from home. Why? Because this week my eldest kiddo started university. It is truly the most bizarre concept... pack up all her things, drive for a day, dump  her and all her packed things off. 

And.Then.Leave.Her. 
Wait, WHAT?

Every instinct is screaming against this foreign concept. Since the first day a crying pink bundle landed in my arms, my job has been to Be There, Mop Tears, Hug When Life Sucks, Cook Food, Clean The Dirty Dishes, Wash Dirty Clothes, Help, Listen, Love. Now I have to leave her and drive 10,5 hours in the opposite direction. That's over 1000 kilometers, not that anyone is counting. If you need me, I'll be over in the corner sobbing.

Driving away from Stellenbosch without her is going to be one of the hardest things I've ever done. I've bought tissues.

Wow. As her mom and dad, Scott and I are thinking of everything she may need so that when we leave town, she'll be able to do what we brought her all this way to do. She is here for a purpose and we are providing access to everything she needs to make sure she can get on with it.

All this sounds familiar though, doesn’t it?

Jesus felt the same when He left us humans after living with us for a while. But, in His usual perfect way, He had a plan. And what a plan it was! John 14:18 tells us that He didn't leave us as orphans, but sent Holy Spirit to be with us. If you read 2 Peter 1:3, you'll know that He has provided all things for life and godliness. And just as I can't wait for the first holiday when she gets to come home (and man, you can be sure her room will be ready!) Jesus is longing for the day we get to be reunited with Him too. He has already got the place all spiffied up for us. It's all there in John 14:3.

But do you know what would break my heart?  If my girl chooses not to use the bookshop account and struggles without textbooks for the year. If she chooses not to use the chemist facilities when her allergies get bad. If she doesn't use the cash we put in her bank for food and clothes.

Sounds crazy, right? But many of us struggle daily with things that Jesus has made provision for. I want to spend this year combing through my Bible and figuring out everything that He has provided.  Then I want to access it and use it lavishly for myself and for those around me.

Knowing how I feel about my kiddo, I'm pretty sure it will delight His heart.

Dianne J. Wilson writes novels from her hometown in East London, South Africa, where she lives with her husband and three daughters. She has just signed a three book contract for a YA series, Spirit Walker, with Pelican / Watershed.

Finding Mia is available from AmazonPelican / Harbourlight, Barnes & Noble and other bookstores.

Shackles is available as a free ebook from Amazon & Smashwords.


Find her on FacebookTwitter and her sporadic blog Doodles.

6 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful, Dianne. I've been through similar circumstances with our three kids, and it still makes me cry to recall it. But, they have all come through fine and settled well.

    Your analogy truly touched my heart. Thank you for sharing this truth that shows us again how gracious and loving is our God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Jan. It is just the strangest thing to get used to. I'm grateful to hear that it worked out well for your three. We left yesterday to come home and I didn't find it as hard as I thought I would. She has settled in so nicely and all the important things are in place, which makes it so much easier to leave her with a happy heart. No doubt, the moments will hit me though.

      Much love xxx

      Delete
    2. Thanks for sharing, Dianne! I'm getting ready to leave my daughter at college in August (number two) and yes it is so tough. Especially with them being on a different continent. Love the connection to our relationship to Jesus!

      Delete
  2. Lisa, I can't even imagine on a different continent! My brain just won't go there. Will think of you when the pangs hit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job, Dianne. Great analogy about using what God's provided for us! I've taken four children to college, and it never got easy. I rest in the fact, however, that growing up is what we've been working toward and God's going to take care of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Di, I feel for you. We did exactly the same trip with kid #1. We lived in East London then too, and our daughter went to Cape Town. Oh it was so hard. With the next two, WE were the ones to leave. They chose to stay in Krugersdorp while we relocated to the Cape.
    And yes, I identify with Lisa too, with the other continent. Same kid #1 got married and flew off to the jungles of Venezuela, taking my first two precious baby grandchildren. Oh that was so hard.
    Hey! Who says it's easy to be a mom?

    ReplyDelete