Monday, December 26, 2016

Best of the ICFW Archives ~ Glastonbury

By Donna Fletcher Crow



I’ve been known to say, and I don’t think it’s too much of an exaggeration, that GLASTONBURY, A Novel of The Holy Grail, is the book I was born to write.

Just as the search for the Holy Grail is the centerpiece of this 820-page novel covering 1500 years of English history, so the stories of King Arthur have been a centering passion for my life. I wrote my first short story when I was about ten years old: Sir Lancelot killed the dragon and rescued the maiden from the tower. Of course I was convinced it was brilliant, but I was worried because I knew every other child would have written the same story. It was, after all, simply the only story there was to tell. Imagine my surprise to find I was the only Arthurian scholar in the fourth grade.

As an English major in college I loved "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight," "Idyls of the King" and all the others in the repertoire. As a mother I saw to it that my three sons had castles to play with and knights costumes to dress up in (along with Batman, Superman and Flash Gordon, of course). And when they grew up I was several times asked by their English teachers to talk to their classes when they were studying the Arthurian legends.

Read more at the following link:

http://internationalchristianfictionwriters.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/glastonbury-story-of-my-life.html

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for choosing this as one of the year's best. I never tire of revisiting "The holiest earth in England."

    ReplyDelete