It’s not a secret that I absolutely love to travel around the world. Just look at my social media accounts for proof. It’s just the thrill of seeing new sights, eating different foods and experiencing different cultures and all that get me. And I’ve always been this way.
|Me scuba diving in Puerto Rico|
When I was a kid I may have not had opportunities yet to visit distant lands, but I always loved reading about other countries and U.S. states and dreaming of going someday. And I know I’m not the only one around that loves to travel. I’ve seen posts from quite a few of you on here who love it as well. It just must be something about engaging our writer’s minds, right?!
Anyway, I recently spotted an interesting article entitled, “23 Signs You Were Born to Travel,” and I must say I think I pretty much fit every single one of them. You too? Were you born to travel? See how many fit you.1) You can make friends anywhere but are just as happy to sit in silence by yourself.
2) You’ve always been willing to try anything once (except maybe drugs and Kopi Luwak coffee which is made from harvesting digested cherries from the feces of a civet cat)
3) You have very specific airport security and customs strategies.
4) You’ve always been good at Tetris, and understand how to translate those skills into a real life-packing scenario.
5) You know the word for “Cheers” in seventeen languages.
6) Your decorating style relies heavily on maps.
7) The term ‘All Inclusive’ makes you gag.
8) The first thing you think when you see a motorcycle is ‘freedom’ and not ‘crushed skull.
9) You’ve held on to a demolished pair of old jeans because the rips and wear on them all have corresponding stories from abroad.
10) You consider your medical history full of exotic diseases to be more like a trophy case.
|Me looking over Salzburg, Austria|
12) You’re praying for the airline to bump you off your boring business trip flight so you can get the free credits.
13) You have - at least at one point in your life - thought of an RV as a better investment than a house.
14) You’ve never actually finished a checklist because you can’t stop adding things to it.
15) Your measure of whether someone is a good friend or not is, ‘Would he be a (jerk) to me after being awake for 17 hours straight on a non-sleeper train?’
|Me at Buckingham Palace in London, England|
17. You’re less interested in jobs that offer two-weeks vacation and more interested in jobs that offer yearlong sabbaticals.
18) You’ve always thought ‘Curiosity killed the cat’ is a dumb proverb. And even if it’s true: good for the cat.
19) You’ve daydreamed about working for National Geographic.
20) You have a dog-eared copy of On the Road, Into the Wild, The Motorcycle Diaries, or Eat, Pray, Love on your nightstand pretty much all the time.
21) The idea that a lot of people do not even own a passport offends you to your core.
22) You’re okay with doing something embarrassing or stupid, as long as you’re able learn from it.
23) When people ask you, “Where do you want to go next?” You can never choose just one place.”
So do any of these signs stand out to you? Can you think of any you would add? I would love to hear from you!
Morgan Tarpley is an award-winning newspaper reporter and photographer in Louisiana. She is also a historical novelist currently seeking representation. Besides writing and traveling to over a dozen countries, her interests include acting in her local theater, genealogy, photography, and singing. She resides in Louisiana with her husband. For more information about Morgan, connect with her on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or Goodreads.