Friday, May 20, 2016

Bubbles and Rock - a devotion for you, if you are finding life tough


When things get tough, do you ever eyeball yourself firmly in the mirror and give yourself a pep talk? I know I do. I try to make sure nobody is watching, but even that doesn't always work out.
I’ve come to realize though, that my motivational eyeballings – even the very best ones, are a little bit like wrapping myself in a bubble. For a while I can float along, feeling cushioned from the bite of an anorexic bank account, safely tucked away from bickering kids and in firm denial of my hungry petrol tank.
There’s just one problem with a self-motivated-pep-talk-bubble. It just takes one sharp object, one tiny prick and it pops. I can tell you from experience that when you’re floating in a bubble that bursts, there’s only one way to go and it ain’t up. You feel the teeth of your bank account when you can’t buy the bottle your kid needs for school to make your Mom’s day pressy, when you have to say no to your teenager’s social life because you can’t afford the petrol for the extra trip.
It doesn’t take a sledgehammer to pop a bubble.
Yet somehow, when God speaks, there are no bubbles involved. His Words come with a standard issue of solid rock under your feet and the guts to face life unflinching. No matter what. One word from Him, and I’m on solid ground, light years away from the quicksand of doubt.
From now on when I eyeball myself in the mirror, I'll be saying one thing and one thing only... 
Listen to Jesus, girl. He's got you!
Dianne J. Wilson writes novels from her hometown in East London, South Africa, where she lives with her husband and three daughters.

Finding Mia is available from AmazonPelican / Harbourlight, Barnes & Noble and other bookstores.

Shackles is available as a free ebook from AmazonSmashwords.

Find her on FacebookTwitter and her sporadic blog Doodles.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this Di. Excellent idea to address yourself in the mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this Di. Excellent idea to address yourself in the mirror!

    ReplyDelete