Tuesday, September 17, 2013

MY CAT ISN'T MUCH HELPC



Christine Lindsay
I worry. I used to worry a lot, but I’m learning. I like reading Psalm 94, ‘When my anxious thoughts multiply within me....’

I also hate making decisions.

Never yet in my 55 years have I received an audible answer to my prayers, or received a blueprint laid out with directions, go left or go right.

I’d rather be like my cat. 

Scottie is such a coward. 

Like me, my cat doesn’t like change. He goes rigid with fear when you move his kitty pedestal, while he’s sitting on it, a few inches closer to the window. He doesn’t comprehend that we’re moving the pedestal so he can better see the birds in the tree outside, which are his chief entertainment.

My daughter, Lana, who moved the pedestal laughed at Scottie. “Yeah, you don’t like change unless you’ve sat down, made all the plans yourself and know exactly how it’s going to play out.”

Scottie in his favorite window watching the birds.

Yeah, that’s Scottie. It’s me too. But God doesn’t tell me the end results. But it says in His Word that He does whisper directions in our ear if we ask Him, and if we seek His will with all our heart. So how do we hear that still small voice of God?

The second half of verse 19 in Psalm 94 was ‘Your consolations delight my soul.’

After my devotions, I prayed the Lord would show me in some small way that He heard my prayers, and that He would direct me, something that I could comprehend.

My mum talked to me later, telling me of an unusual occurrence that morning. A small robin had hopped onto her balcony, checked out her potted flowers, then sat on the arm of her patio chair, peering through the window at her for several minutes.

She laughed. “I wonder why I received that lovely blessing?”

“Probably because God wants to remind you that He has His eye on you,” I said.


When we hung up, I was pleased the Lord had sent my mum such a sweet blessing. Then it dawned on me. My mum and I often think the same thoughts. I realized then, this was God’s very personal way of consoling me that He has His eye on me too. That He’s watching carefully. He had sent the message through two members of His creation I would listen to—my mother, and a tiny, feathered ambassador of His earthly kingdom.

 
In these cases, Scottie my cat isn’t much help. But I love him anyway. 

Christine Lindsay is the author of the award-winning Shadowed in Silk and Captured by Moonlight.

Drop by her blogsite and say hello www.christinelindsay.org

or her website www.christinelindsay.com 
 

2 comments:

  1. I think cats are good examples of "unconditional love." We love them unconditionally, just like God loves us. They pay attention when they want something. Just like us. If we can love a cat, how much more does God love us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Christine. I think you heard God very clearly when you suggested to your mother that God had his eye on her--which was really his message to you as well! God bless and continue to speak to you clearly.

    ReplyDelete