Friday, November 5, 2010

DEVOTION: Walk Humbly with Your God - Kathi Macias

He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

            My husband and I just returned from a week in St. Louis, where we attended banquets with friends and colleagues, signed/promoted my two newest books, and received great news about current sales and future contracts. Does it get any better than that?

            Actually, it does. I don’t mean to diminish the joys of fellowshipping with like-minded believers who share my passion for spreading the Good News via the written/spoken word, as it truly is a glorious pursuit. But in the midst of all the eating and talking, laughing and rejoicing—and yes, the business transactions—I’m grateful for the “God moments” that jumped out and reminded me what it’s all about and why we were there in the first place.

            As I returned to my hotel from the convention center one afternoon, I spotted a homeless man on the street. Because my husband wasn’t with me and I felt no direction from the Lord to stop, I passed him by with only a smile, though I used the remainder of the journey to my room as a time of prayer for him. Another time I was stopped by a woman at the convention hall who said, “I have to tell you how your husband blessed me. I set my purse down somewhere along the way, and he noticed. He hurried over to pick it up, and then chased me through the crowds until he returned it to me.” He hadn’t even mentioned it to me, which is so like him.

            God moments. They happen often and everywhere, if we’ll take the time to notice them in the midst of the activities of life. For what does the Lord require of us? That we sell a million books? Speak to thousands? Establish a recognizable name in the media?

           No. He requires that we “do justly, …love mercy, and…walk humbly with [our] God.” From that come the memorable “God moments” that bless us (and others) more than we can dream or imagine. May you experience your own such moments today as you heed the timeless, changeless words of Micah to the nation of Israel so long ago….




Kathi Macias is an “occasional radio host” and an award-winning author of more than thirty books, including her popular international Extreme Devotion fiction series from New Hope Publishers.  

1 comment:

  1. I love that passage from Micah. I have it well memorized because it is in an anthem I've sung. Such a simple sentence with so much power and the answer to all of life's perplexing problems.

    ReplyDelete