Friday, September 10, 2010

DEVOTION: More Than Sights and Sounds (Yvonne Ortega)

Yvonne Ortega, a Licensed Professional Counselor and speaker, author of Finding Hope for Your Journey through Breast Cancer,and a contributing author to The Embrace of a Father. She has also published in CBN.com, Spirit-Led Writer, The Secret Place, The Quiet Hour, and The Virginia Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors VAADAC Views


Psalm 24:1-2: “The earth is the LORD’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it; for he founded it upon the seas and established it upon the waters.” NIV

In June 2010, my father and I went to Germany and Austria for two weeks. For years I dreamed of a visit there. Of course, I saw the Rhine River and visited the palaces and castles. I stood in awe of the sites where my favorite movie, “The Sound of Music,” was filmed. The music and folk dances of Austria filled my heart with joy, especially because I sat up front and could almost touch the folk instruments. The concert of the music of Strauss and Mozart ended too soon.

This is the year of the famous Passion Play at Oberammergau, and we had tickets for it. In spite of wrapping myself in three blankets, I nearly froze at the play. That didn’t stop me from appreciating the music, the scenery, and every aspect of the play.

However, as a writer and speaker, my time there meant more than capturing the sights and sounds of both countries. As I walked the cobble stone streets of Germany and Austria, I prayed. I claimed both countries for the Lord Jesus Christ and asked God for revival there.

When I saw parents with their children, I prayed they would teach their children about the Good News of Jesus Christ. When I saw people of all ages, I asked God to bless them with salvation. As I passed bakery after bakery, I prayed the employees there would know and love the Bread of Life.

I’m home now, but I still see the faces of the Germans and Austrians and can still pray for them.

Prayer: Father, Germany and Austria are yours. So are all who live there. I pray they will know, love, and serve Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.

Thought for the Day: Which country will you pray for today?

Prayer Focus: People in other lands
Copyright © by Yvonne Ortega July 7, 2010

For information about Yvonne's book, Finding Hope for Your Journey through Breast Cancer, visit her website.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder to pray for the people we are in contact with, Yvonne. What a wonderful time you seem to have had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only seen Germany from the air as we flew to Frankfurt airport where we were in transit to Ireland. The forests and windmills were beautiful and I hope to have the opportunity to see the countryside one day.

    I love your idea of praying for bakery employees to know and love the Bread of Life.

    May you be blessed

    ReplyDelete