Monday, December 7, 2009

Relearning Our Spiritual Lessons

Halfway down the road from the restaurant, the baby started to cry. "Nicholas, stop bothering your brother," my wife said as she turned towards the back seat.

"I promise I didn't do anything," Nicholas said.

The editor in me cringed when I heard this. How many times had I told him that 'promise' is not used for things done in the past? More than a dozen, perhaps. But as I slowed down to make a right turn, I realized that I was guilty of a similar fault—God has repeatedly admonished me to trust in His financial provision but sometimes I still fear, I still doubt. Nonetheless, he keeps whispering to my heart, "I am Jehovah Jireh, your provider."

Like children before our Heavenly Father we need to be taught the same lessons again and again. While as Christians we eventually succeed in abandoning our former habits, it may take us a few tries. Far from scowling at our mistakes, God patiently leads us toward repentance (Romans 2:4).

So whenever I am impatient with a friend or a family member, or even with those who I disciple, I must remind myself of God's attitude toward me:

[God] does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him; for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust. (Psalm 103:10-14)

Nick Daniels is a passionate writer, a guitar player, and he loves Mexican food. Check out his new podcast at BreakingUnblief.org, please, now.

2 comments:

  1. That's a favorite passage of mine, Nick! Thank you. And how often do I want to edit my kids' grammar instead of hearing what they say?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful lesson (and reminder especially for parents). Thanks.

    ReplyDelete