Friday, June 22, 2018

Devotion: The Reckless Love of God

By Lorraine Goulton | @ICFWriters


                                                      The Reckless Love of God


As a  wife and  a  32 year old Mum of 4 little daughters, I found myself searching for "I- don't- really- know- who". I had made- what I call- a step towards God at the age of 15 but thought I knew better. Like a prodigal daughter, I went off and did my own thing for several years.


 While I was busy avoiding God, He had a plan to love me back to Himself. In fact, He had had that idea for many years.

                                                   
In the intervening years between 15 and 32, I  made  a spectacular mess of my life. At 32, another opportunity  to allow myself to receive the ( reckless) love that God offers to all of us, arose. The truth is, He sends us invitations every day. Trouble is; a lot of people think that aren't worthy to open the invite.

When you looked at the facts, I was a risk to love. I had turned my back on Him for many years; I was doing things that His Word said I should not do and living life the way I wanted to.

 In choosing to love me, God would be risking the fact that I may never reciprocate His love.




I had to get forgiveness first as it was guilt, shame and brokeness that led me to His door. I  theorised in my mind that if I was forgiven, that I could possibly be loved. However, that  is not how it works in the Kingdom of God.

                                    He loves us first!!! 

It took me a long time to get my head and my heart around this concept. Except its NOT a concept!! Its a fact!


Ephesians 2 verse 4 But because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, Verse 5 made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions-it is by grace you have been saved. 

John 3 verse 16: For God so loved the world that he gave His one and only Son so that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life.


God does not  expect us to get cleaned up first- before He will love us and accept us. NO!! He sent His son Jesus to the cross so that  our sins and transgressions would be covered by His Blood as God desperately wants fellowship with us. Why?? Because He is our Creator. However, He did give us all a free will and its in the area of our will where we decide if we will accept what Jesus did for us and reciprocate His love. Either way, God will love us with that Reckless love.

           



Who else CAN love us with a reckless love? Who else knows all about us and loves us anyway forever???  Who else can forgive our sins and be mercifully good to us. We don't get what we do deserve!!

           

This is my story and  the story of millions of people who worked it out that we are loved with an ever lasting love that is absolutely  reckless in its nature.  He came after me; the lost sheep  and He can come after you too.Psalm 13 verse 5: But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing to the Lord for he has been good to me.







Recently I fell in love with the words of the song the Reckless love of God - I pray you take a few minutes to watch this song and let the words minister to you. 





Lorraine Goulton is unashamedly and recklessly loved by God. She lives in Masterton, New Zealand. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. Your story is encouraging. I'm praying for someone I hope will respond to God's reckless love and find her way back to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for your encouragement Sherma :) I pray that your someone will respond :)

    ReplyDelete