Thursday, November 9, 2017

Book Review - The Space Between Words



Blurb

"There were seconds, when I woke, when the world felt unshrouded. Then memory returned."
When Jessica regains consciousness in a French hospital on the day after the Paris attacks, all she can think of is fleeing the site of the horror she survived. But Patrick, the steadfast friend who hasn’t left her side, urges her to reconsider her decision. Worn down by his insistence, she reluctantly agrees to follow through with the trip they’d planned before the tragedy.
“The pages found you,” Patrick whispered. 
“Now you need to figure out what they’re trying to say.”
During a stop at a country flea market, Jessica finds a faded document concealed in an antique. As new friends help her to translate the archaic French, they uncover the story of Adeline Baillard, a young woman who lived centuries before—her faith condemned, her life endangered, her community decimated by the Huguenot persecution.
“I write for our descendants, for those who will not understand the cost of our survival.”
Determined to learn the Baillard family’s fate, Jessica retraces their flight from France to England, spurred on by a need she doesn’t understand.
Could this stranger who lived three hundred years before hold the key to Jessica’s survival?


Thoughts

The first thing that grabbed me about this book was the cover. Whoever the cover artist was they did a spectacular job of making it eye catching! Michele Phoenix was a new author to me but once I saw the story was internationally set (the whole book takes place in France and England), I was in! 

Having never read anything by this author before I didn't really have any expectations going in. I'll be honest. It took a little while for me to get into the story. Probably about fifty pages or so. The story opens with the day of the terrorist attack and a lot of flashbacks fill the early pages. Because of this it took me a little while to get into the cadence of Jessica's point of view but once I did I was hooked! 

Alternating between Jessica's journey trying to recover from both her physical injuries and PTSD and the persecution of the Huguenots hundreds of years before I could not put this story down and read it in two days. The second day being waking at 3am and not being able to get back to sleep until I finished it. I couldn't even tell you the last time that happened! I was particularly riveted by the story of Adeline, the 16th century Huguenot women whose story is told through diary entries and learning about a horrible, yet inspiring, time in history that I had never heard about before. 

As a mix of historical fiction and women's fiction with a thread of romance there would be something in this story to appeal to many readers. I'm thrilled to have found a great new author. The first thing I did when I finished was order her previous book! 

What about you? What book has recently surprised you recently? 

8 comments:

  1. I loved this book. I agree it was confusing at the beginning, but as I read I realised that reflected Jessica's own mental state. It was Adeline's story that kept me reading in the beginning. But there came a point where Jessica's story gripped me just as much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same Iola! Adeline's story was definitely the first one that gripped me. Now I want to read more about Huguenot history :)

      Delete
  2. Great review, Kara. And the fact Iola loved it too means it must be worth adding to one's TBR.

    I just read Nevermoor, the debut of an Aussie chick, Jess Townsend. It's Middle-Grade fantasy ... It's making a BIG splash (next big thing) with movie deals and NYT Bestseller first week. I loved it. Loved its magic and charm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. I just hat that there is so many good books and so little time!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Lisa! I just got an email today that Vanishing Point is on it's way to me! :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great book, Ian! I'll have to add it to my already overwhelming list! Man I hope there is a large library in heaven :)

    ReplyDelete