Monday, October 23, 2017

Travel Inspiration

by Lisa Harris

I’m often asked where I get my ideas for my story lines. It’s funny, actually because until not too long ago, I thought everyone had stories running through their heads, and I was just someone who decided to write them down.

Apparently, that’s not true. :-)

My mother-in-law, after asking me that same question, told me that the only thing she has running through her mind most of the time is her grocery list. Never stories. And that revelation really surprised me.

So where does inspiration come from? Well, for me, it can come from just about anywhere. This past week we visited a church while traveling through the US, and a couple graciously gave us two nights in Victoria, Canada. To get there, we had to take a ferry which turned out to be a lot of fun, but it also sparked a slew of ideas in my mind.


We parked on the ferry, then took the stairs up a narrow passageway to the deck where we could sit and watch the water. By the time we got to our seat, my mind was already racing with ideas of what could potentially happen on board. Missing people, missing bodies, stalkers. . .(Remember, I write suspense!) We passed islands, forested with trees. A perfect place to run from something. And the scenarios just kept coming. Now I've got to write a story set in that part of the world.


While not everyone has stories and characters running through their minds, I think it’s safe to say that we’re all inspired by different things. Music, art, books, and people, for starters.

On our travels over the past few weeks, we’ve also seen the incredible colors of fall and stunning flowers. It’s refreshed my spirit. God’s handiwork is so beautiful and amazing. And so inspiring! 








I'd love to hear from you. What inspires you?

Be inspired today, wherever you are!

Lisa Harris

(To find out more about Lisa's books, visit her website!)

5 comments:

  1. I'm totally with you, Lisa! I have stories running constantly through my mind too! And travel definitely inspires me. Fiction and non-fiction books that I read also inspire me. But I also draw inspiration from something someone says or a movie I watch, etc. The story ideas are everywhere and all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. Places for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely! All it takes sometimes is something I hear or see to get my mind going. And on a personal level, it's especially seeing something beautiful that stirs my soul!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspiring, indeed! I love Victoria. And, yes, I get my best inspiration from travel to my settings!


    ReplyDelete
  5. It's what I love as well about international settings in books because you can go to places you can't see on your own. :-)

    ReplyDelete