Thursday, June 22, 2017

Best of the ICFW Archives ~ Interview with Elsie O. Oghenekaro


Interview with Elsie Oghenekaro by Ufuoma Daniella Ojo

It's an honour to bring an interview with Nigerian children's book author, Elsie Oghenekaro. Elsie has written numerous short stories, children's books and biographies. She is also a travel agent, a mother of 5 young children and active in her local church.

When did you first realise that you wanted to be a writer?

I have always had the desire to write. I wrote my first story when I was eleven years old, although I didn’t do anything with it. I just loved reading and writing. When I was nine years old, I had to leave my parents and go live with an older sister and her family to help out with her kids. Her husband was quite abusive to me, but he had a large library of books and these became my succor. I read everything available and signed up as a member of the local public library. I had few friends because of the restrictive environment at home, so I started “talking” to my books. I would write down my thoughts, hopes, dreams and would imagine myself living in happier times and surroundings. I would create characters in my head and whenever things got out of hand at home, I would retreat into the happier world in my head.

Read more at the following link:

http://internationalchristianfictionwriters.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/interview-with-elsie-o-oghenekara.html

No comments:

Post a Comment