If you love romantic suspense, I wanted to give you a heads up about my latest Love Inspired Suspense novel set in the Saharak and Morocco. This book was so fun to write, mostly I believe, because the setting was so fascinating.
Since I've never been to North Africa, I spent a lot of time doing research on this unique part of the world. The Sahara is an incredible place for people who love the beauty of nature with a hint of adventure. Think camel treks, a star-studded sky, sand dunes, and kasbahs--old fortified Moroccans homes with long narrow passages and secret rooms.
While researching, I discovered a ton of interesting facts.
- The Sahara is the largest hot desert, and the third largest desert.
- It's about the size of the United States, 3,600,000 share miles.
- The temperature can get extremely hot, but in the winter, the temperature in certain parts can also drop below freezing.
- What about camels? Camels really don’t store water the way most people think. Their humps are actually made of fat, allowing them to keep their body temperature down. And they have three eyelids!
- The milky sap of the desert plant called the Alkhad can be used to treat a scorpion sting.
- There are also heavily-armed drug convoys that make their way through the desert's vast expanse, often laying landmines out to stop the authorities.
- Holding people for ransom--like in the story--has become a global business. In 2013 alone, $66 million dollars were paid out, primarily by European governments.
Here's a blurb about Desert Secrets from the back of the book.
"When aid worker Lexi Shannon is abducted at gunpoint in Mali, she quickly learns her kidnappers are really after her brother—and the money he's stolen. Landing at the secluded desert compound, ex-military pilot Colton Landry has a clear mission: rescue his brother-in-law, who's being held for ransom. But after discovering the kidnappers also have Lexi, there's no way he's leaving her behind. Their daring escape soon turns into a deadly chase when their plane is shot down, stranding them in the desert. Making a desperate run for the Moroccan border, Lexi and Colton must trust each other and rely on their strength and ingenuity to survive. But it may not be enough to outrun and outsmart their relentless pursuers…"
To win a digital copy of Desert Secrets, leave a comment below with a way for me to contact you. I will draw one winner on March 3rd.
Void where prohibited; the odds of winning depend on the number of entrants. Entering the giveaway is considered a confirmation of eligibility on behalf of the enterer in accord with these rules and any pertaining local/federal/international laws.
LISA HARRIS is a Christy Award finalist for Blood Ransom and Vendetta, Christy Award winner for Dangerous Passage, and the winner of the Best Inspirational Suspense Novel for 2011 (Blood Covenant) and 2015 (Vendetta) from Romantic Times. She has over thirty novels and novella collections in print. She and her family have spent over thirteen years working as missionaries in Africa. When she's not working she loves hanging out with her family, cooking different ethnic dishes, photography, and heading into the African bush on safari. For more information about her books and life in Africa visit her website.