Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Best of the ICFW Archives ~ The Politics of Language

By Kara Isaac


I recently got some scoresheets back from a contest. As per usual I had mixed results, with one judge loving my entry and the other, well they offered a lot of constructive criticism to go with their less than loving score ;)

Living in New Zealand, one thing that sometimes happens, is words and phrases that are perfectly acceptable in Christian circles here are a little bit borderline or worse, completely taboo, in the US. Early on in my writing journey my heroine used a derogatory word to describe another character. It was one that no one would blink at here but resulted in a VERY shocked reaction from an American friend who read it. It was my first real run in with the fact that though we all speak English, in many other ways we also speak different languages.

Read more at the following link:

http://internationalchristianfictionwriters.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/politics-of-language-even-when-you.html

No comments:

Post a Comment