Friday, November 25, 2016

Keep your 'airline' clear.


Our son and daughter-in-law were led by the Lord to purchase a Seahorse farm in Tasmania. Rachelle had previously finished an aquaculture course and had worked at the farm. To help them in the early days of their ownership I did some late night checks. This involved turning water-flows on and some preparation for the morning crew.
    
During one of the regular late night checks a fish tank was seen to have an airflow problem. The fish were lethargic and if unfixed by morning they’d be dead. When the air-line was examined the cause for concern was discerned. Small particles of salt from the water had come together and over time choked the flow. A simple clean with a sharp, thin tool and the air flowed. The fish could breathe again.     
On reflection I could see a parallel between the fish and my Christian life. They needed of air to flow into the tank. For me to lo live a healthy, happy, godly life required ‘air’ also.  Living as we do in a sinful, Christ indifferent world, it is so easy for my spiritual ‘airline’ into my life to become clogged. Minute particles seep into my soul without me realizing it. These clogging agents can be, among many others, unwholesome attitudes, unforgiving spirit, unholy images. Slowly, surely, my spiritual health, vitality and worship maintained by the ‘breath’ of the Spirit of God is strangled. 
Unlike the fish in the tank, I am responsibility for this condition. I am also accountable. Being re-energized in my faith, worship, service and relationships mean I need the ‘airline’ to be unblocked. I need to cry out to the Lord words which echo Psalm 51 1-2. “Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.” 
My follow-up prayer should be along the lines of Psalm 19:13. “Keep your servant from wilful sins; may they not rule over me.”  
Ray Hawkins. Writer of Themed Devotionals. His latest one is 'The Warrior Lord's Sword'. It is 31 days of discovering what the bible says about itself. See his other books on
 http://rayhawkinsauthor.blogspot.com.au





No comments:

Post a Comment