Friday, July 12, 2013

DEVOTION: What God Sees ~ Donna Pyle



“Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” 
Psalm 139:23-24

Music has the inherent ability to communicate in powerful ways that which is lost in the spoken or written word. Throughout the generations, God has inspired melody lines, harmonies and beautiful lyrics that have moved us to great joy and even tears.

I was raised in a very musical family, so music is my soul’s language. Dad played the stand-up bass and Mom loved to sing. Between my three sisters and I, two of us play flute and two play clarinet. And we can all carry a vocal tune. Music has always been an important part of my life. Now, I use that love for music by serving in the worship ministry at my home congregation. Joy!

But the music that God intended for beauty and praise, our worldly culture tarnishes with offensive lyrics and lewd behavior. However, countless artists still seek to praise and honor God through music. It’s the age-old battle of good vs. evil.

When God sees your heart, what lyrics does he observe? Let’s see what Scripture says:“The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.” (Luke 6:45)

“For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come -—sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly.” Mark 7:21-22

God’s search of our hearts is not for His benefit. It’s so we can come clean before God and surrender to Him any offensive ways that might stifle His work in your life.

Regardless of whether or not we confess our offenses, God still sees them. Our first reaction is to reach for the nearest fig leaf, figuratively speaking. However, David sets an amazing example in Psalm 139 by basically saying to God, “God, I realize that You see my secret offenses, but I’m just letting You know that I need You to see them so that we can deal with them and move on.” David knew something that we could learn much from: it takes far more strength and faith to fall on our knees and submit to a sovereign God than to stand and fight our endless battles for significance.

When Michelangelo was asked how he carved his famous angel statue, he responded, “I saw the statue hidden in the marble and I carved until I set it free.” That’s a vivid word picture of God’s work on our hearts! The difference? What is hidden in our hearts is not beautiful (Gen. 8:21; Romans 3:10-18). God lovingly carves you and I until we are molded and shaped into the likeness of His Son – inside and out. God composes our songs and invites us to be in His choir.

Ask God today to reveal to you what He sees in your heart.


What kinds of thoughts, feelings or motives do you believe might stifle God’s work in your life?


DONNA PYLE is a speaker, author, Bible teacher and worship leader with a passion for studying and teaching God’s Word. Since launching Artesian Ministries in 2007, she has authored 20 full-length Bible studies, as well as numerous smaller Bible studies, devotions, and magazine articles. She has released two DVD-based Bible study series and a small-group based Bible study book, The God of All Comfort, through Concordia Publishing House on August 15, 2012. She regularly travels throughout the U.S. and internationally, speaking at conferences, conventions, women’s retreats, prayer luncheons, and special events. Read more about Donna at her website.


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this Donna. I have often thought of that comment of Michelangelo and wondered, when God looks at me, what does He see hidden inside?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Michelangelo quote. Music is such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete