Wednesday, October 6, 2010

UNFINISHED HOUSE--By Christine Lindsay


Psalm 127 says, Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it.

This psalm goes on to say, It is vain for you to rise up early, to retire late, to eat the bread of painful labors: For He gives to his beloved even in his sleep.

This verse always speaks with power. Either it encourages me to be confident that the work I am involved in is His will.

Or it makes me stop.

Is the work that I produce on my laptop for 8 to 10 hours a day really His will? Or am I 'building a house' He does not want?

Writing is like breathing to me. I'm willing to put in the long, long hours, the months, the years to hone my craft. It's been 8 years of seriously pursuing a ministry/career in Christian fiction, with a great many sacrifices along the way.

This is the norm for writers. It's common that once an author is published, the money they make is a pittance. There's certainly no job security. When one is published, the author is only as good as his or her last book. And the pressure to market themselves and their book takes away from the labor to produce another.

Yet, with all artists, the desire for wealth and fame is meaningless. It's the art that tugs on our hearts—the desire to use that art to glorify God. It's this that urges us to give and give and give to this labor.

My desire is to use the literary arts to help others 'see' God within the words and scenes I type on the page. I want them to understand something of what I glean from the Word of God. What He has taught me through my life’s tumultuous journeys to help others trust in Him.

But we live in a world where food must be put on the table, the roof over our heads must be financed. The gas bill must be paid. And I look at this verse in Psalms and I ask myself---Lord, am I doing what you want me to do with the labor of my hands?

I crave the confidence that He is leading me.

Is this stirring in my heart to write Christian fiction from God? Or my vain imagination? After all, I'm a writer, my imagination works overtime.

I don't know for sure. All I know is that the Lord only gives us one time around on this earthly life. I’d rather give myself this chance, and if I fail, and must take whatever day job I can find to make financial ends meet, then I will know I tried my best to reach my artistic dream.

And yet . . . every day, the Lord keeps nudging me forward. Don't stop, keep going. I'll provide.

Then I read the verse in Psalms again. . . . for He gives to his beloved even in his sleep . . . .

While I sleep my Heavenly Father is looking out for my earthly concerns. He sees the dreams within my mind. He inspires them.

Why do I fret?

If you'd like to read more by this Canadian author, Christine Lindsay, drop by clicking on her website, www.christinelindsaycom

Christine was born in Ireland, has lived across the entire country of Canada at various times in her life. Received the 2009 ACFW Genesis award for Historical, and in 2010 won 2nd place in the RWA Touched by Love contest for her historical romance SOFI'S BRIDGE. Christine is hard at work giving that novel its final polish.



This article will also be cross-posted on The Inkswell blog on Dina Sleiman's webpage, click here Inkswell

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Christine, how often I have struggled with the same thoughts. Is writing nothing more than a time-consuming hobby or is it really what God wants me to do? Although I have commercially published books, they are anything but best-sellers, and no one seems interested in my current work-in-progress. I am often tempted to give up. I only know these stories are in my heart, and I long to glorify Him with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine, you have expressed my thoughts and feelings to a T. May God guide us and show us His Will for our writing and lives.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you LeAnne and Ruth. I pray the Lord gives you the confidence in His leading that I too seek.

    ReplyDelete